Location: With a trading catchment area of 42,000, Olds is becoming recognized throughout Alberta and Canada as the small town that innovates. Located in Mountain View County in Central Alberta and just 45 minutes from the Calgary International Airport, Olds is conveniently nestled at the junction of Highway 2A and Highway 27, just a few kilometres west of the Queen Elizabeth II Highway and just 61 kilometres south of the City of Red Deer and 90 kilometres north of downtown Calgary.
Commercial and Industrial Strengths:
- Diversified and growing economy – agriculture, business to business services, health, trade, education services, government services, oil and gas, commercial retail, financial and insurance services.
- Available skilled labour pool – 50% of the population is under 50 and access to 1300 full-time post-secondary students.
- Community-owned 1 gigabyte fibre network throughout the community, offering unsurpassed Web, video, television and phone/long distance services through O-NET.
- Strong business networks through Uptowne Olds and Chamber of Commerce.
- Available and services industrial and commercial land and centrally-located business properties available.
- Community-owned electricity retailer, Mountain View Power.
- Alberta’s first Fair Trade Community and one of only three Certified Alberta Main Street Communities.
- Four major grocery stores (Co-Op, Sobeys’s, No Frills, Wal-Mart).
- Big Box Stores (Wal-Mart; Canadian Tire; and Staples).
Community Growth and Development:
- Available industrial land on west side, 47 Avenue Industrial Southeast area as well as Discovery Plains site to the north.
- Projected 60-120 new housing dwelling units in 2013.
- Development permits exceeded $53 million in 2012 – almost double the value in 2010 and $20 million more than 2011.
- Olds has 100 km or roads, up from 89 km in 2005.
- Olds has 78 km of water lines, up from 61 km in 2005.
- Olds has 70 km of sewer lines, up from 62 km in 2005.
- Olds has 44 km of stormwater drainage, up from 35 km in 2005.
Education and Learning:
- Olds College – School of Innovation; School of Trades and Career Studies; School of Business; School of Agriculture and Land Management; Brewmaster and Brewery Operations Program.
- Bell e-Learning Centre and the Community Learning Campus connect Olds, via satellite Community Engagement Sites, with several other rural Alberta towns and communities.
- Chinooks Edge School Division and Red Deer Catholic Schools.